Project aim: To create an environment alphabet, in black and white line drawings, consisting of native and non-native plants, flowers, trees and animals of the Irish natural environment. To compile with the aforementioned drawings, a colouring book for use throughout the school community.To further raise children’s awareness of diversity of plant and animal life in Ireland.
4 lessons, 45 mins per lesson
1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th classes
- Numeracy: project could link to entrepreneurial events or activities, pricing and profits.
- Science: classification of animal and plant life.
- Gaeilge: the animal and plant names can be written in both English and Irish.
- Geography: local habitat: the folklore associations of the plants and animals can be included.
Recycled printing paper, A4 paper, pencils, washable black markers, black pens, stapler.
- Ideally, the colouring book will be photocopied on recycled printing paper, available in stationery stores and online.
- As a fund-raising project, the colouring book could be sold to parents, families, and the wider school community.
- Katie Holten’s tree alphabet font can be downloaded for free on the website https://www.katieholten.com/new-york-city-tree-alphabet