Warm-up: 10 minutes
- Study with the class the work of Irish artist Katie Holten, focusing on her long-term project, ‘New York City tree alphabet.’
Introduction: 5 minutes
-Discuss with the students key details in ‘New York City tree alphabet’, in particular her style of drawing-bold, line drawings.
- Explore the tree font on an interactive whiteboard if available.
- Assign children an alphabet letter to research native and non-native plants, flowers, trees and animals of the Irish natural environment. In the case that there are more than 26 students in the class, assign some children the same letter. In this case, children will choose two different aspects of the
natural environment, such as a tree and an animal.
- Explain that the challenge for this lesson is to find a combination of 4 different plants, animals, trees or flowers beginning with the assigned letter.
Conclusion: 10 mins
- Encourage children to share their research with the entire class, discussing the diversity of natural life in the Irish